From The (Almost) No Fat Holiday Cookbook by Bryanna Clark Grogan
Makes 10 servings
1 (10.5 ounce) package of reduced-fat, extra-firm Silken tofu (found on store shelves; works best when kept cold in fridge)
2 cups reduced-fat soymilk or other plain, nondairy milk (also keep cold)
1/2 cup turbinado sugar, light brown sugar, or Sucanat (or use 1/2 cup honey or 3/4 cup alternate liquid sweetener, like maple syrup or barley malt)
1 cup rum/brandy or use 1 cup apple juice with 1 teaspoon imitation rum extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup cold water
4 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
20 ice cubes
freshly grated or ground nutmeg (add as garnish after blending other ingredients)
1. Place the crumbled tofu and the soymilk in a blender with sugar and salt. Blend until very smooth.
2. Scrape this into a large bowl or pitcher, and whisk in the water, rum/brandy, or apple juice with rum flavoring. Add vanilla extract. Refrigerate until serving time.
3. To serve, blend half of the mixture in the blender with 10 of the ice cubes until frothy.
4. Repeat with the other half. Add all the ice when ready to serve so mixture doesn't lose its texture.
5. Serve in mugs or glasses with nutmeg sprinkled on top.