Thursday, September 15, 2011

Crazy For These Cookies & "Ask Amy": Handling Social Situations

Big Gigantoid Crunchy Peanut Butter-Oatmeal Cookies
And "Ask Amy"

Recipe from Vegan With A Vengance by Isa Chandra Moskowitz
Makes about 12 large cookies
Ingredients:2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups rolled oats
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
¾ cup canola oil (or 3/4 cup applesauce)
¾ cup peanut butter (chunky or creamy all-natural peanut butter, salted if you prefer a saltier taste)
1 cup granulated sugar (I use about 1/2 to 3/4 cup)
1 cup brown sugar (I use 3/4 cup)
½ cup vanilla soy milk (You can also use plain soy milk or almond milk)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
(Optional: butterscotch or chocolate chips -- these cookies are best with these extras)

Directions:Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Lightly grease two cookie sheets
Mix flour, oats, baking powder, and salt in one bowl.
Mix oil, peanut butter, sugars, milk, and vanilla in another bowl.
Mix dry ingredients with wet. Fold in optional chips.
Take 1/3 cup dough, flatten to ½” thickness, space 1” apart
Bake 12-15 minutes
Cool 10 minutes
 
"Ask Amy"
Q: As a vegan, how do you handle social situations?
 
A: When I first became vegan, this was more of a concern for me than it is now. I've found most family and friends to be quite supportive and accomodating, but here are some tips that work for me: 

When I'm attending a party where I know the hosts are not vegan, I may email or call ahead of time and offer to bring a plant-based entree and/or dessert for everyone. It's helpful to ask the host for his/her meal ideas and OK to do this. If I'm attending a party where I may not know the host (like a large work function), I often opt to eat ahead of time and enjoy a drink while I'm there.

When anticipating dinner out, I often offer veg-friendly restaurant suggestions to my friends and family. If the location has already been decided, I usually check out the menu online to see what vegan options exist. In my experience, many restaurants will make vegan versions of their listed dishes. It's helpful to let the server know you are vegan and what this means: you don't consume any animal products, including butter, other dairy, fish, or broths made from animals. That way, there's no misunderstanding.
 
I do find it increasingly difficult to frequent barbecues, hamburger joints, or steakhouses. I simply don't like to smell the cooked flesh of dead animals, so I opt not to attend some social functions like these.
 
I also go to social events prepared to field some of the most common questions vegans get: "Where do you get your protein and calcium?" and "Aren't people built for eating meat and haven't we always done that?"
Don't worry if you don't have all the answers. It's encouraging that people are even asking these questions, as it often shows some curiousity about your way of eating.
 
And if someone does openly criticize your plant-based diet, take heart. You are choosing to live according to your values, to protect and advocate for the animals who have no voice. You can be proud of your decision to live a healthful, cruelty-free life.

No comments:

Post a Comment